Friday 20 October 2006

in the middle of the night...


I'm very, very tired this morning. Yesterday was a lovely but busy day, and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep to rest up so that I'd be fresh today and ready to do loads of work.

Ha! The best laid plans... At around four o'clock this morning, there was a commotion and himself got up to see what was going on. Two cats were on red alert in the kitchen, and we soon discovered that either Alice or Mulder had caught a mouse, brought it inside, and then released it into the wild of the house. Brilliant! Now usually, in domestic 'situations', himself is the best 'coper' and 'resolver' of problems. However, in this case, he had to stand aside while the Great Mouso swung into action, clad in the pair of gardening gloves she never uses for gardening. With luck, I was able to corner the little devil quite quickly, scoop it up, and run outside - in the pouring rain - to release it into the real wild!

Great stuff, but unfortunately, when I returned to bed, I couldn't switch off, and my mind ran in circles for a couple of hours, on writing and related topics, while both himself and Kuffer snored beside me. [Kuffer the cat snoring considerably louder than his human counterpart!]

And now, of course, with a hefty working day ahead of me... I'm knackered!!!

3 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Aw, what a lovely little mouse!

Funny how the boys disappear when it comes to things like this, ain't it? Our division of labour includes: Spiders and daddy-long-legs - him. Killing injured animals on the roadside - me. (With a lot of tears and shouting.)

Well done for humanely rehousing the little fellow!

Portia Da Costa said...

The mouse in question wasn't quite as spruce as this one in the pic... He looked slightly moth eaten, or should I say slightly mouthed by whoever had caught him in the first place.

Fortunately he wasn't injured though, and boy, could he run *and* jump!

I'm phobic about daddylonglegs's so unfortunately, they have to be swiped with extreme prejudice with my Good Grips Swatter, but spiders I usually catch with my vacuum Spider Catcher and then release them.

In fact, I have all sorts of 'equipment' for dealing with insects, because sprays irritate my skin. I've got two spider catchers, the deluxe fly swatter, and a sort of electronic tennis racket thing for hunting down bluebottles and executing them!

val said...

Oh, those electonic swatters, talk about toys for the boys, they can't be trusted not to get you with them.

I once had an invading mouse abseil down the tv flex when I switched the light on. Clever little bugger.